Chances are that most people have at least come across the phrase “smile makeover” somewhere, whether in a magazine or while watching television. Comparatively few people, however, know what a smile makeover actually is. In truth, there is no single smile makeover plan quite like any other, at least at Boston Prosthodontics, where we customize each and every treatment plan around the unique needs and goals of the individual patient.
From custom-crafted porcelain veneers to the finest-quality dental crowns, any number of treatments can be combined into a personalized smile makeover plan. When patients meet with our esteemed, experienced dentists in Boston, smile makeover options are discussed in detail. Together, our dentists and patients arrive at the exact combination of procedures that will provide the best possible results, namely beautiful, healthy smiles that will last for years with strong oral hygiene regimens and regular visits to the dentist.
Commonly Combined Smile Makeover Treatments
A smile makeover may include just a couple of treatments that refine the appearance of a patient’s teeth or several procedures that dramatically transform the entire mouth. It all depends on the condition of the patient’s teeth and gums and what the individual patient hopes to achieve through the smile makeover.
Among the treatments most commonly combined in smile makeover plans are:
- Porcelain veneers: The key ingredient to many of the most transformative smile makeovers, porcelain veneers are thin restorations that are bonded to the front surfaces of the teeth to conceal cracks, chips, discoloration, flaws in shape or size, and other aesthetic imperfections. Veneers are crafted from the highest-grade porcelain and customized to complement surrounding natural teeth in terms of shape, size, color, and texture.
- Porcelain crowns: Like veneers, porcelain crowns are custom-crafted to conceal aesthetic flaws; however, crowns cover the entire visible surface area of a tooth. Aside from their cosmetic benefits, crowns also reinforce teeth that are weak or have already cracked.
- Teeth whitening: Modern, in-office teeth whitening is safe and effective, brightening teeth by multiple shades in only about an hour. When used as part of a comprehensive smile makeover plan, the teeth can be whitened first, and then porcelain veneers and crowns can be colored to match the newly whitened teeth.
- Inlays and onlays: Also known as indirect fillings, inlays and onlays are fabricated from medical-grade ceramics to fit into teeth from which decaying areas have been removed. Inlays are fitted within the cusps of teeth, while onlays cover the entire chewing area of the tooth, including the cusps.
- Tooth colored fillings: If the damaged area of a natural tooth is too extensive to be treated with inlays and onlays, but not so extensive as to require a dental crown, tooth colored fillings can be used to rebuild the tooth.
- Dental bridges: If it is necessary to replace one to three missing teeth on an arch, natural-looking dental bridges can be used. These bridges can be attached to the teeth adjacent to a gap via dental crowns or to dental implants, which provide the strongest, most secure support for bridges.
Learn More about Smile Makeover Plans
To learn more about smile makeover plans and which treatments might be combined in your personalized plan, please contact Boston Prosthodontics today.