What Are the Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings?
Even those patients that practice excellent dental hygiene habits can still develop cavities from time to time. In the past, patients with cavities had little choice but to correct the issue with bold and noticeable metal alloy fillings. But restorative dentistry techniques have come a long way in recent years; today Boston Prosthodontics Dental Group offers tooth-colored fillings, a beautiful alternative to traditional metal fillings.
What Is a Tooth-Colored Filling?
A filling is a restoration that replaces tooth structure that was lost to decay. During the procedure, the dentist will clean out the part of your tooth that has become damaged by tooth decay. Once all signs of infection are removed, a filling can be placed in the empty tooth cavity. The durable filling material will strengthen the tooth without the need for a full dental crown.
A tooth-colored filling can restore a tooth to good health while preserving the natural strength and beauty of the tooth as much as possible. Tooth-colored fillings are often made from composite resin or ceramic materials, which are as beautiful and natural looking as they are durable and long lasting.
What Are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
If you have grown up with metal alloy fillings, you may not fully understand the benefits that tooth-colored fillings can offer. But in fact, there are several aesthetic and practical benefits to choosing a tooth-colored filling. These benefits include:
- A More Beautiful Look: Metal fillings can leave patients feeling uncomfortable and self-conscious, especially when the fillings are closer to the front of the mouth in more highly visible areas. The ceramic or resin used to create tooth-colored fillings, on the other hand, can be custom designed to match the color of your teeth.
- A More Natural Feel: The composite resin or ceramic of a tooth-colored filling is created to match the shape and texture of your existing teeth, for a more comfortable and natural feel.
- A Decrease in Sensitivity: One of the biggest drawbacks of traditional metal alloy fillings is the way that these fillings act when exposed to less than ideal situations including food that is too hot or too cold. When temperature fluctuations occur, metal fillings can expand and contract, increasing the risk of tooth fractures. Ceramic and resin tooth-colored fillings do not change in size with temperature changes.
- A Healthier Choice: A common concern about older metal alloy fillings is the materials used to make them. In the past, fillings were often made with metal components like mercury, which can be toxic. In comparison, tooth-colored fillings are completely non-toxic and safe.
- Durable: Tooth-colored fillings are strong and long lasting. They could last 10 to 15 years with proper care.
Learn More about Tooth-Colored Fillings - Schedule a Consultation
If you have cavities, you also have options. Tooth-colored fillings have several benefits that can make them an ideal choice. To learn more, contact our team at Boston Prosthodontics Dental Group to schedule a consultation and find out if tooth-colored fillings are the right choice for you.