Putting Your Best Smile Forward: Dental Care for Teens
The teen years can be a tough time, especially for those that feel self conscious about dental damage or cosmetic issues, like crooked teeth. Cosmetic and restorative dentistry treatments can repair dental damage, restore oral health, and improve the appearance of your smile. Learn more about dental care for teens in this overview from our Boston, MA practice, Boston Prosthodontics Dental Group.
Teens Can Protect their Smiles with Proper Dental Care
It's important for teens to take responsibility for their oral health because damage sustained in the teen years can last a lifetime. Practicing proper dental care, which happens both at-home and in the dentist's office, is the best way for teens to maintain a healthy, beautiful smile that they can be proud to show off. Teens can protect their smiles with these dental care tips:
- Floss regularly: Flossing removes plaque along the gum line and between the teeth, making it one of the best ways to prevent gum disease. Floss at least once a day, sweeping the floss up and down each side of every tooth and down along the gum line.
- Brush twice a day: Brushing also reduces plaque buildup, lowering the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. The teeth should be brushed at least twice a day for a full two minutes to ensure a thorough cleaning.
- Avoid sugary, acidic foods and drinks: Sugary, acidic foods and drinks can erode the teeth and lead to decay. Teens should limit soft drinks, sugary foods, and other sugary, acidic foods and drinks to protect their smile.
- Rinse with water between brushings: Rinsing with water after meals and between brushings can help remove leftover food particles from the teeth and neutralize acids within the mouth, reducing the risk of tooth decay.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports: Teens who play sports are particularly at risk for dental injury, like chipped, broken, or lost teeth. Dental mouth guards can help protect the teeth while playing sports.
- See your dentist for regular exams and professional cleanings: Regular dental exams and cleanings can help catch and prevent dental issues and should be done at least once every six months.
Cosmetic Dental Treatments for Teens
When repairing dental damage in teen patients, it's important to consider aesthetics since the permanent teeth are generally in place by the teen years. Teens may benefit from the following dental treatments:
- Treating cavities with tooth-colored fillings: Tooth-colored fillings offer seamless repair of dental cavities so teens can smile with the confidence of knowing their dental fillings are unnoticeable.
- Treating dental chips with porcelain veneers: Chipped teeth are a common problem among teens, especially with those who play sports. Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin, tooth shaped fabrications that can be used to repair minor chips and mask flaws.
- Correcting crooked teeth with Invisalign®: Teens with crooked teeth may benefit from Invisalign® treatment. Invisalign® is discreet orthodontics treatment that uses clear, plastic trays to gradually reposition the teeth, creating a gorgeous smile.
Schedule a Consultation
For more information about teen dental care, we encourage you to schedule a consultation at Boston Prothodontics.