Because a dental implants timeline is designed to meet each patient’s unique needs, it will vary from patient to patient. The overall timeline will depend on a variety of factors, such as the number of dental implants being inserted, if bone grafting is required, and how fast you heal. During your initial consultation with one of our skilled prosthodontists at Boston Prosthodontics Dental Group in Boston, MA, you will receive a thorough examination where the doctor can ascertain the time range of your procedure and explain the procedure in detail. Because we can perform all of your procedures at our state-of-the-art facility, it streamlines your overall treatment, making it more convenient for you to receive your dental implants.
The Dental Implant Timeline
Dental implants provide the surest solution to replacing missing teeth. Because they are designed to replace a tooth from the crown to the root, they have the ability to mimic the natural tooth and provide a firm foundation for a beautifully customized restoration. Your dental implant timeline will depend on whether you need any preparatory procedures, such as a bone graft and whether you are replacing a single tooth or an entire arch of teeth. Other factors include the time required for the jawbone to heal after surgery, the rate at which your implants osseointegrate, and the time between attaching the abutments and affixing the final restorations.
The basic dental implants timeline includes:
- Examination: During your consultation, the doctor will perform a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and jawbone using the latest x-ray technology and 3-D scans. This will allow your prosthodontist to determine if any prerequisite procedures or tooth extractions are needed and create a treatment plan catered to your unique needs. Your doctor will explain the procedure to you in detail and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Prerequisite Procedures: For patients who require preparatory procedures, a follow-up appointment will be scheduled where the doctor will perform any tooth extractions and bone grafting procedures. Healing from tooth extractions generally takes two to three weeks. In cases where bone grafting is needed, it will require an additional three to six months of recovery.
- Dental Implant Placement: Once your jawbone has been adequately prepared, the doctor will administer anesthesia and surgically insert dental implants. The length of the procedure will depend on how many implants are being placed, but it generally takes approximately two to four hours.
- Osseointegration: This step is the most crucial step in the process and typically takes about four to six months. During this healing period, the implant posts will fuse with your surrounding tissue and jawbone to create the stable base necessary to support dental implants. It is imperative that you follow your aftercare instructions carefully to ensure that you achieve a successful outcome. The doctor will monitor you carefully through a series of follow-up appointments to ensure there are no complications.
Because they are designed to replace a tooth from the crown to the root, dental implants have the ability to mimic the natural tooth and provide a firm foundation for a beautifully customized restoration.
- Abutment Placement: Once you have fully recovered and the implants have successfully fused with your jawbone, the doctor will attach the abutments atop the implant posts. These small connectors provide a secure attachment for your implant-supported restoration. Although this step requires surgery, it is very minimal and recovery typically takes about two to three weeks for the gum tissue to heal.
- Restoration Design: After the abutments have been placed, the doctor or a member of our team will take digital impressions of your smile for our lab to use in fabricating your customized restoration. The type of restoration will depend on how long restoration design will take. At Boston Prosthodontics Dental Group, we can provide dental crowns, implant-supported bridges, and implant-supported dentures.
- Restoration Placement: Once your implant-supported restoration is completed, the doctor will ensure that it fits properly before securely attaching it to your dental implants.
Schedule Your Consultation
While the dental implants treatment timeline can be lengthy, the outcome is worth the wait. Dental implants provide a permanent solution to restoring your smile after tooth loss. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of implant-supported restorations, contact our office online or by calling (617) 523-5451 to schedule your consultation with one of our trusted and highly skilled prosthodontists.